Well here’s a surprise! A product is listed as “Organic” means that 95% of the ingredients are organically grown, while the remaining 5% may be non-organically produced ingredients. “Made with Organic Ingredients” means the product must be made with at least 70% organic ingredients, the remaining 30% may be non-organically produced ingredients. These terms therefore sometimes end up being used merely as marketing gimmicks. It is becoming more clear, as independent researchers test beauty products, that they promote issues that go deep beneath the skin’s surface.
While executing a beauty regime, steer clear of products listed with the following ingredients for your own health and preservation:
Research suggests that a user can ingest approximately 4 pounds of lipstick in a lifetime. Synthetic dyes derived from aluminum (“Lakes colors”) and coal tar can be absorbed into our bodies and stored in our organs and fatty tissues.
Be on the lookout for these toxins on your lipstick labels:
Conventional foundations are the third leading cause of contact dermatitis. Foundation made with synthetic ingredients can cause skin problems as it is usually worn on the skin for many hours.
Conventional foundations include coal tar colors and synthetic fragrances. They too may also contain lanolin.
Common harmful ingredients are:
With all this information available, it is important that we read labels of our beauty products and stay clear of these toxic components. Multiple internet resources are available to check what you already have ensuring that it is in fact safe. People believe in beauty at all costs but we be informed about the real cost we pay when we “beautify”.
1. Use non-toxic cleaning solutions, such as vinegar and baking soda.
3. Take off your shoes when entering someone’s home. This is not only an Asian sign of respect but is also a way to prevent outdoor allergens and dirt from getting into your green home (if someone refuses see Baking Soda Tip#1)
4. Open a window or use an exhaust fan instead of using synthetic air fresheners to get rid of bad odours. Based on a research by the US Environmental Protection Agency air fresheners emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can irritate your eyes and lead to headaches as well as other adverse health effects.
5. Toss the vinyl shower curtain and instead opt for nylon or cotton. Most vinyl shower curtains (including all liners) are polyvinyl chloride/PVC-based. Nylon and Cotton curtains can easily be machine washed and ready to use within minutes.
6. Throw the wet sponge in the microwave after washing the dishes for about one minute. This helps kill bacteria and make sure it’s germ-free for the next time you use it.
7. Green your home the right way with nature, bring plants into your home. They help rid your home of air pollutant and toxins so trade in your plastic plants for the real thing. If not properly cared for, silk plants attract a lot of dust. Ferns, ivy and palms are excellent natural filters.
Did you ever think that packing a lunch for work or school could be considered “green”? Well it can be. By packing your lunch you can save money, make healthy choices as well as lower your carbon footprint.
What exactly is a carbon footprint? It’s the amount of energy and waste we create. HOW TO GREEN YOUR LUNCH?
Tip 1 – Use reusable containers (instead of paper or plastic)
Tip 2 – Bring liquids in a plastic or aluminum reusable bottle
Tip 3 – Recycle used plastic bottles and aluminum cans from home or work
Tip 4 – Use cloth napkins instead of throwing away paper napkins
Tip 5 – Use steel utensils from home or purchase earth friendly bamboo utensils that you can wash and reuse
Tip 6 – Ordering take-out? Ask your restaurateurs to use reusable containers or biodegradable containers. Also ask them to forget the paper napkins, plastic utensils and menu, because you already have your own.
Tip 7 – One of the healthiest ways to green your lunch is to bring organic or locally-grown food.
Tip 8 - Compost partially eaten foods that will not be eaten later, in your compost bin at home.
FINALLY, taking the time to green your lunch and save the environment is gratifying but don’t forget to care for yourself. Take time to relax, walk, read Live ECCO, take a yoga class, head to the gym or lyme with good friends. You will definitely come back to work clear headed and ready to work